Thursday, July 18, 2019

Beauty in Grace

Walking around town it's not hard to notice our latest fashion trends that leave nothing to the imagination.  We're talking super tight and barely there clothing.  I believe my purse has more fabric than some outfits worn in public.

What are we teaching our kids by allowing them to wear such dress?  I honestly believe they are being taught not to value themselves, their bodies, their own worth.  I believe they are being taught that their body is a commodity, and are being taught to be sexual with their dress.

This is in pretty well all stores that sell clothing--the girls' clothing that looks like it's painted on, too low up top and too high down south.  It is absolutely hard to find appropriate clothing for a modest girl or lady in most stores.

This evening I was looking around on Pinterest at ideas to try out while making my "bonus" daughter's wardrobe for upcoming school year.  She dresses modestly, with culottes/split skirts (these look like an elastic waist A line skirt with no pleats, just soft gathers, from Candle on the Hill), long skirts, dresses, layers, etc.  The photos I saw on Pinterest were great--lots of options to try for modest dress--soft lines, gentle pleats and gathers, flowing skirts, prints that lend to a graceful feel.  No half naked models.  So, at my sewing machine I'm trying out different ideas I saw.  The first I've got on the machine is a light blue soft chevron dress that is a pullover style with lined bodice, mid calf length or slightly longer pleated skirt, cap sleeves, and an attached mock vest of soft blue background and light colored roses, with a tied back.  It is from a 90's pattern that is designed using lace as the vest--I don't have enough flat lace, so pretty florals work.  The vest is held together in the front with a single pink flower button that coordinates with the fabric, and falls open gently to reveal the chevrons underneath.  I love how it's looking so far, enough that I want to make myself something similar when this is done.

Don't get me wrong, what we wear in our home is probably a bit different than what most others do.  That is fine.  We as Bible believing Christians are to be a peculiar people.  We are to be different.  Our particular home uses longer dresses, cape dresses, jumpers, long skirts, culottes (split skirts) that are below the knee, with longer shorts and pants for hubby and the boys.  That doesn't make us better than anyone else, just different.  On cleaning days I'm not above old t shirts and long skirts to clean in--save the better clothing for church and out and about times.  I utilize homemade aprons as well, especially when using oil for cooking, flour, etc.  Bread baking is my messiest, followed closely by hand washing dishes--I look like a flour mill exploded, and then got sprayed down.

It's been our goal for years to teach the kids that we are responsible for how we dress, and that our dress does speak before our voices do.  We don't have to wear high heels and pearls, or fancy suits, but what we have should be clean, mended, preferrably not wrinkled or stained.  This last one is a hard one to teach our oldest.  If we only have older hand me downs, then they should be looking the best they can. 

I believe truly that there is beauty in the graceful way of keeping your clothes the best you can.  I find beauty in old faded overalls that are well taken care of but aged from years of use.  Beauty can be in the older dresses of years past that are kept nicely.  Classic and older, that style doesn't fade away. 

What kind of clothing do you comfortably wear?  Are you more of a contemporary person, or old fashioned? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your graceful comment!